Monday, May 28, 2012

Budget cooking

Bee coz I...get paid monthly and sometimes all my bills fall in the one pay packet and my son has done a little to much texting I get creative with my meals.

Lucky for me even on my one wage 90% of the time I have enough to keep the ship on track so to speak, rent, petrol, bills, I get to be in the gym, buy takeaway 2 times per week and buy sushi for lunch at work every now and then.

On the 10% I have a menu plan that works well, if I could stick to it for more than 10 day I could save a fortune. I still buy a bit of meat for Billy and he still gets his normal food (with the odd beans on toast dinner thrown in) so don't be thinking he is starving! He has lost about 12kg but that is through healthy eating and exercise not starvation!! Things aren't that bad :p

This is my autumn money saver menu plan....
I make up a big slow cooker spicy lentil soup here is the recipe:

Spicy lentil soup
4cups of veggie stock (I use as natural as possible and low salt)
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
4 spring onions (including the green part) chopped
1 1/2 cup of red lentils
Chili paste (to taste) I teaspoon
Fresh herbs (I use basil as I grow my own)

Bung it all in the slow cooker on high for 5 hrs or low for about 8 hrs' add some fresh basil at the last minute and season to taste - that's it.I enjoy this for lunch (or sometimes dinner) with a nice piece of wholemeal bread.

Breakfasts are easy 2 weetabix with honey and light A2 milk (less processed)

Dinner or lunch if I swap it up for variety is brown rice, cherry tomatoes, spinach and tuna (lucky for me it was on special) and every second night I swap that for beans on toast or a boiled egg on toast.

I eat more rice bread that I normally would but I use brow so it is a bit better and fills you for longer!

I never starve I just get bored and miss my variety and freshness. But I don't complain as I know I am lucky that this is only 10% of my life not the other way around.

That's it for now, stay tuned for my pea whack soup next! I love autumn and winter cooking - Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment